Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Seeds of Italy

On Jan 4, 12:15*pm, Martin wrote:
Judging from the appearances of Italian house gardens and the results achieved
by Italians with allotments, they are neither *most enthusiastic nor
knowledgeable gardeners.

Petrus de Crescentius (also sometimes known as Pietro de Crescentiis
or Pietro De’crescenzi) had over 10 books translated in many languages
in the 15th century, the most important texts on agriculture, husbandy
and horticulture. The Italians had the first wall gardens, much more
elaborate than those of England Medieval monasteries, most of the land
was owned by the church there and they grew absolutely everything that
could be grown. During the crusades, the knigths brought back lots of
plants, seeds and ideas to England. (Don't get me started I'm writing
a dissertation atm ... ;o)