Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 AM
jammer

Default questions from a first-time homeowner on bugs!

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:55:14 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
wrote:

Anteaters, ant bears, ant lions, echidnas, parasitic mites, but mostly
each other. Humans and ants, both being highly evolved social animals,
share much behavior, including waging war. Ants are members of the family
formicidae, whose sting carries the irritating agent formic acid. They have
few predators simply because they taste bad.

I never have two large hills in my yard, but i heard if you take a
shovel of each and put onto each others' hills, they will kill each
other off. It sounds too cruel for me anyway. I can't kill much. I did
have several fire ants come out of no where and bite me today. Sucks!
I immediately rub wit straight bleach, followed by a cold rinse. Cuts
that itch time down to a couple/few minutes.

True story:
I moved here and never heard of the likes of fire ants. My neighbor
was mowing and she ran over a hill and they swarmed her BIG TIME. She
started screaming, GET THE BLEACH! GET THE BLEACH!, while she brushed
them off on the way to the hose. Well silly me, I ran out there with
the bleach like a fireman on a fire and turned the bottle upside down
on the area of ants. She told me to bring HER the bleach and poured it
over her feet. I had no idea. But having done it both ways, i stick
with the bleach. I HATE that itch!