Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeds of Italy

On Jan 4, 9:08*pm, wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:06*pm, Sacha wrote:

But the Italians have a long history of growing food in their 'orto' and
gathering it from the wild, which some do to this day. *There's even a
Madonna dell' Orto. * *I'm quite surprised to read this, Martin because I
must admit that my impression is different. *I think their ornamental
gardens are quite different to ours so perhaps we can't compare the two..
However, their love food and good, high quality fresh ingredients usually
leads to good stuff either grown at home or sold in markets, IME.

Here a photo I took last year in Napoli. Like Rose Prince said,
'Naples suburban gardens are planted with produce right up to the
front door. Italian children may not frolick on lawns, but they get to
eat the sweetest tomato sauce'. Happy dreams ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?bewZPFuA1g

The prices are cheaper there than in France. The cost of food in
France has soared recently. We had an awful year growing our veg, not
exactly sure why.

Judith