Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Unstaked tomatoes have gone crazy....what should I do?

In article ,
einnebcj wrote:

Hi

I planted about 12 Tomato/Cherry Tomato plants in a 4x4 patch. I
didn't stake them particularly well and to cut a long story short -
they have gone crazy! Last year the soil was poor so the plants were
small and uncramped. This year I have improved the soil and
subsequently they are much larger and are quite cramped - growing into
eachother. The 'branches' are big and as the fruit grows will become
very heavy and possibly hit the ground or break.

So...what should I do? do I stake now or just let them run their
course? I'm worried if I stake them then I will cause root damage and
break fruit/branches whilst trying to stake but will I destroy what
I've got if I do nothing?

Thanks

I'd stake them personally. :-) Just be GENTLE!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama