Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Unstaked tomatoes have gone crazy....what should I do?

einnebcj wrote:
Hi

I planted about 12 Tomato/Cherry Tomato plants in a 4x4 patch. I
didn't stake them particularly well and to cut a long story short -
they have gone crazy! Last year the soil was poor so the plants were
small and uncramped. This year I have improved the soil and
subsequently they are much larger and are quite cramped - growing into
eachother. The 'branches' are big and as the fruit grows will become
very heavy and possibly hit the ground or break.

So...what should I do? do I stake now or just let them run their
course? I'm worried if I stake them then I will cause root damage and
break fruit/branches whilst trying to stake but will I destroy what
I've got if I do nothing?

Thanks

As others have said: thin out and carefully stake. You didn't say how big
they are. Drive your stake close to the selected plant but avoiding main
roots, breaking a couple of small roots won't matter. Then working from the
root upwards pull them up to the stake and tie, repeat working towards the
tip tieing about a foot apart, it may be easier if somebody helps hold while
you tie. If you break on or two side stems it doesn't matter just don't
kink the main one. If you thin them,depending on the size, you may be able
to transplant them to elsewhere taking some soil with the roots.

David