Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NYD plant count reminder

In article ,
says...
On 5/1/09 16:37, in article
,
"echinosum" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;826416']So - what's flowering in your garden on New Year's Day?

Well I was away over NY, but at Christmas in the Chilterns, I had
Hamamelis x intermedia "Jelena" in full flower, still a few flowers
left on the Arbutus unedo, and Abutilon megapotamicum flowering away.
More amazingly, there was still a solitary flower left on my Lapageria,
one of only three it produced in its first ever flowering.

Since it was -6 on Sat/Sun night, I rather expect the Abutilon might
change its mind about any more flowering till rather later in the year.
I'm also now questioning my sanity in not bringing the Puyas inside,
though they are hard up against the house wall. I have a developing
flower-bud on my Protea cynaroides, tucked up inside some protection,
so we will see how it liked that. The plant itself is also right up
against the house wall and so probably didn't have it that cold where
it was standing.

Reading that lot my fingers are crossed for you to the point where they're
plaited. This morning I looked out of a window and saw Echiums flourishing
and wonder now if they'll make it through tonight. Ray went out just after
10pm and it was -2C. The forecast is for the coldest night so far.

Pond is frozen this morning for the first time this year so they are
right to say its the coldest night so far but I have no idea what it got
down to (to scared to look!!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk