Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default Silver Birch

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, wrote
On Jan 2, 11:59*pm, Kate Brown wrote:
Quelle honneur... *but which bit of the Dordogne? *We have an ancient
cottage and a scrappy garden with a magnificent view, near Le Buisson de
Cadouin. *Never go in winter, authentic 16thC draughts, but very
beautiful by about June!

I'm from Perigueux. I knew lots of people in Le Buisson de Cadoin. A
friend had bought the train station/shop and had turned it into a
grocery store/cafe. Other friends had bought several houses in the
village and they were a tight knit community. The last time I was
there my first born was just about 1 year old. He's now 19. I'm
visiting some friends in Champagne et Fontaine soon. I just can't wait
and even though I prefer being by the sea, sometimes I long for a
place like yours! Where's your draughty demeure?

Paleyrac, just above Le Buisson. Very nice people (very few English!)
but very few amenities in the village. On the other hand, with a local
market somewhere no more than ten minutes drive away every day, some
excellent supermarkets, good bakeries, the best foie gras in Perigord
and a wonderful local wine merchant all within easy reach, not to
mention the best collection of medieval churches and castles probably in
the world, we do OK. By the train station/shop, do you mean the Relais
des Voyageurs, a charming building that was taken over by some Dutch
people but seems to have failed already, or the Cafe de la Gare, which
is very very local and very very solid? We tend to patronise the Cafe
des Sports, ourselves!

But only in summer. I note the EDF is announcing a lot of jours rouges
these days (when the electricity costs ten times the usual price).

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally