Old 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
[/i][/color]
Since it was -6 on Sat/Sun night, I rather expect the Abutilon might
change its mind about any more flowering till rather later in the year.
I'm also now questioning my sanity in not bringing the Puyas inside,
though they are hard up against the house wall. I have a developing
flower-bud on my Protea cynaroides, tucked up inside some protection,
so we will see how it liked that. The plant itself is also right up
against the house wall and so probably didn't have it that cold where
it was standing.
[/i][/color]
Reading that lot my fingers are crossed for you to the point where they're
plaited. This morning I looked out of a window and saw Echiums flourishing
and wonder now if they'll make it through tonight. Ray went out just after
10pm and it was -2C. The forecast is for the coldest night so far.
Many thanks for your crossed fingers. It bottomed out at -7.7C last night, which is the lowest I have known in the nearly 20 years I have been in the area, but only by a fraction, and my usual annual minimum is often close to -7. We'll see if anything resents this slight worsening from usual conditions. I'm hoping the very dry and still conditions and snow cover will help.

I can't do Echiums though. I've tried to overwinter Echium pinninana (from a promising Leicestershire provenance!) a couple of times outdoors, and even in a sheltered spot with fleece, toast, even in a winter when the worst was -5. They usually survive January, but then the March/April frosts do for them.