Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Unstaked tomatoes have gone crazy....what should I do?

On Jan 5, 5:52*am, einnebcj
wrote:
Hi

I planted about 12 Tomato/Cherry Tomato plants in a 4x4 patch. *I
didn't stake them particularly well and to cut a long story short -
they have gone crazy! *Last year the soil was poor so the plants were
small and uncramped. *This year I have improved the soil and
subsequently they are much larger and are quite cramped - growing into
eachother. *The 'branches' are big and as the fruit grows will become
very heavy and possibly hit the ground or break.

So...what should I do? *do I stake now or just let them run their
course? *I'm worried if I stake them then I will cause root damage and
break fruit/branches whilst trying to stake but will I destroy what
I've got if I do nothing?

Thanks

einnebcj

I'mk not sure when in the process they do it, but our Amish egg and
butter family stake theirs differently than I've ever seen. They take
2 pieces of 5' tall metal fencing and put them parallel, 1 - 1 1/2'
apart and have the tomatoes in between the fences,which can be as long
as your garden rows. There appears to be some twine woven between the
fences to help 'maters stand up. I'm also sure, by the lack of
foliage, that they remove some of the leaves and branches, but the
tomatoes are easy to get to and prolific. I have yet to convince hubby
that this is the way to do it, but I think it is great, and a real
space saver, maybe water too with some of the foliage gone!!
Good Luck, Nan in DE,USA