Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn fertilizer prices skyrocket

Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:08:44 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I checked out the "turf builder" fertilizers at the BORG. A Lesco
bag of fertilizer that covers 12,000 sq feet is $57. I would need 3
bags to cover the lawn, so with tax that runs $190. Last year it
was less than $60. Most of the bags were covered with bird crap on
them and had holes large enough to spill out the contents. I guess
nobody else is buying either.

It's a myth that you need to fertilize turf as often as the fertilizer
bags tell you. I feed my lawn every third year. Maybe. My grass is
the greenest on the block...because I don't rake, and I use a mulching
rechargable mower. If you have 36,000 feet of turf, oof.
Victoria

That's less than an acre, hardly worth starting the mower. :-)

But still much to be fertilising, watering and mowing, in terms of time and
resources. Do you play on it or just look at it? You could get some stock.
How about a couple of sheep or a flock of geese? Hellooo lamb chop, welcome
roast goose.

David