Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Lawn fertilizer prices skyrocket

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:08:44 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I checked out the "turf builder" fertilizers at the BORG. A Lesco bag
of fertilizer that covers 12,000 sq feet is $57. I would need 3 bags
to cover the lawn, so with tax that runs $190. Last year it was less
than $60. Most of the bags were covered with bird crap on them and
had holes large enough to spill out the contents. I guess nobody else
is buying either.

It's a myth that you need to fertilize turf as often as the fertilizer
bags tell you. I feed my lawn every third year. Maybe. My grass is
the greenest on the block...because I don't rake, and I use a mulching
rechargable mower. If you have 36,000 feet of turf, oof.
Victoria

yup, mulch and let the clover grow. really, what nutrients do you need to
add. Nothing is removed off site so you run a closed cycle system. Clover
will fix N.

rob