Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark Thompson Mark Thompson is offline

Default Eggplant - which best colder areas

"Steve Peek" wrote in
m:

Try the Japanese varieties and use black plastic mulch.
Works for me in the mountains of NC.
Steve
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
We live near Vancouver, BC and have been trying to grow eggplants
for the last two summers. First year nothing and last year we had
one eggplant on five plants.

Does anybody know of a good variety to grow in a Northern climate?
I'm ready to order seeds and want to try something new. We're
hoping for a warmer summer this year (the last two were milder than
normal) so that might help.

Any hints on growing them would be appreciated also. The wife read
a lot about them last year and we tried some different methods of
growing - but to no luck (well, maybe a little luck - the one edible
eggplant gave me hope for this year!).

Gratefully,
Mark Thompson

I am not familiar with the Vancouver climate other than despite being
maritime it is somewhat chilly. Eggplant like a long, hot, sunny
growing season. According to wikipedia the four warmest months have
temperatures ranging from about 11C to 22C. I would say unless you
can arrange a warmer microclimate there is no chance of raising
healthy eggplants. Also I would start the seeds indoors or in your
hothouse and transplant when it warms up to give the plants the best
chance of a long growing season.

David

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been told Territorial Seeds have
eggplant seedlings for sale in the next couple of months. It seems it's
quite difficult to grow from seeds. Anybody know if other seed companies
also grow eggplant seedlings?

Again - thanks for all the great ideas.

Mark