Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Eggplant - which best colder areas

Mark Thompson said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been told Territorial Seeds have
eggplant seedlings for sale in the next couple of months. It seems it's
quite difficult to grow from seeds. Anybody know if other seed
companies also grow eggplant seedlings?

Quite difficult? No more difficult than peppers or tomatoes, and
much easier than some of the things I've tried growing from seed.

A little warmth until they sprout, and some supplemental light.
I start them indoors in early April, plant them out in very late May,
and they are easily the healthiest looking of all the plants I start
indoors.

I've got a fluorescent light set up in a window that I set seed trays
on top of for bottom warmth, and used as a supplemental light
source after they sprout. (This isn't my main plant starting set-up,
but works just fine on a smaller scale.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.

email valid but not regularly monitored