Old 08-01-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Night time temps

On 8/1/09 12:26, in article , "Alan
Johnson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It was about -20°C here in northern Germany two nights ago. The lowest
temperature was recorded about 50 miles away at -28°C (Bad Lippspringe).
It was only about -15°C last night. I haven't seen the good side of
freezing point for over a week. It rarely climbs above -10°C during the
day. My leeks look dead. I'm just glad the price of heating oil has
fallen. We've just ordered 4000 litres for around £2000. In the spring
3000 litres cost us around £3000.

Regards

Which makes our -6C sound pretty feeble! Another cold night is forecast but
we have some cloud cover so hope that will help. The birds are eating us
out of house and home and to our real pleasure, the long-tailed tits are
back. We saw them for the first time ever last year and then they
disappeared. But today they're back on the peanut feeder, vying for space
with the blue tits.
Hope you'll warm up soon, Alan - let us know how it goes. Reading your post
reminds me of why that huge Camellia at Pilnitz near Dresden, has its own
greenhouse on wheels for the winter! I think you get colder where you are,
don't you?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com