Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Forked carrots

wrote:
O, wise ones, why are some of my just-harvested carrots growing
"forked" - i.e. a fat body with several "legs" rather than just one
straight, slim carrot..

I don't think it's water, as has been suggested. When
that is the problem, the lower end of the carrot starts to turn up,
which is not the case with these lumpy carrots.

Any thoughts?

I'm in So. Calif coastal

TIA

Persephone

Some say that it is hard (ie clay) soil. I was taught that it was over
fertilisation, that you should put your carrots in places that have had a
heavy feeding crop beforehand not where you have just manured or added
fertiliser. I have been told by others that this is not so. There are
plenty of "old wives tales" that are repeated without testing or
justification in the world of gardening. If you find an authoritative
answer tell us.

David