Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] emma@gardenmouse.com is offline

Default Question regarding transplanting tomatoes

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:26:19 -0800 (PST), AndyS
wrote:

Andy asks:

This coming spring, when I am transplanting Celebrity tomatoes
from
the little flats I get from Home Deopt into my garden, I plan to do
the
following:

Dig a larger and deeper hole than normal by about 6 inches.

In the bottom of the hold put a rusty, flattened tin can and some
chicken scraps, with bone, from the table.

Put on potting soil or compost for an inch or two, then the tomato
plant as per normal......

The idea behind this is that the rusty tin can will add trace
elements
of iron, and the chicken scraps will rot and provide nitrogen and
calcium
as the roots grow deeper.

Has anyone tried anything like this, and can anyone comment on
whether this is a reasonable idea ?

Just experimenting,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Tongue in cheek:
Andy, if the tin cans came from China, can you be sure they really do
contribute iron? The chicken bones will probably only contribute
massive amounts of antibiotics :-)))
Emma