Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Bamboo question

"Smeckler" wrote in message
Hello all,

I planted some bamboos several weeks ago which all seem fairly happy.
I'm hoping someone with experience can tell me how they might grow over
the next few years, i.e. in terms of size and culm count, 'cos I don't
really know what to expect.

I have P. nigra (isn't nice how nature allows you to deftly avoid having
to try to spell things which is 6' tall, 1' across, in a moist and
moderately sunny spot.

Once it settles in it will send up new growths in a clump around the exg
canes. Is not invasive.

Best to follow the Japanese practice and cut out all but a few canes to
a)promote fatter canes b)create an attractive grouping rather than mass of
intermingled canes.

I tend to keep 3 or 5 of each years growth and cut out all others as they
grow and remove last years canes when this years mature into leaf. (works
for me with P.Nigra and P.Aurea)

Also a little 1' Sasa palmata in a nice big tub on the patio (again,
moderately sunny).

Don't know that one.

pk