Old 11-04-2003, 12:20 PM
LeighMo

Default New Tank Setup Questions

I recommend Chuck's method:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

It worked beautifully for me. No algae, the plants grew like crazy, and the
fish were happy and completely unstressed. Yes, even though I started with
Amano shrimp. (Shrimp are notoriously sensitive to ammonia and nitrite.)

I did find I had to add fertilizer a little sooner than he recommended. I
didn't have any algae, and the plants didn't die. But they started looking a
bit pale, so I started added adding some Flourish.

I wouldn't worry too much about fertilizer. The plants won't die overnight
without it. If they need it, you'll notice, long before there's any permanent
harm done.

Leigh