Old 11-04-2003, 12:44 PM
KrisHur

Default when to prune my rose?

I agree, whenever I prune in fall, that cane dies. Canes left untouched
until spring do just fine.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

"Valkyrie" wrote in message

"BiG Orange" @ wrote in message

Listen to grandma :-)

Val

Fortunately society does not conform to that standard or we'd all still

be
using outhouses like Grandma. Although it sounds cute and makes you feel
warm and fuzzy inside, and some things have stayed basic, much is to be
learned from new methods.

The question was about rose pruning, not plumbing and the best time for

this
person, who lives in Colorado, is to prune in the spring before growth
appears on the roses. One of the best ways to be reminded to prune those
roses before it's too late is to watch for the forsythia to start

blooming.
If you want to get terribly scientific about it, we could go into the
warming, length of days, etc and how that effects the growth and or

dormancy
of these roses but it still boils down to the tried and true method of;

when
you see the forsythia start to bloom prune back your roses. My grandmother
had a beautiful garden, she was my mentor in gardening, I have had

beautiful
gardens for over 30 years, I don't know if the wolves that raised you had
any gardening skills what so ever and really don't give a

shit...........but
when it comes to gardening........I'll listen to grandma.

Val