Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Garrapata Garrapata is offline

Default Need I.D. Of Leaves

Garrapata wrote:
In San Diego, CA., some trees are just now turning Yellow, Orange and
Red and are dropping their leaves.
I picked up a few that had a nice progression of colors from Green to
Red. I like the way they look but have no idea what the tree is that
produced them. (I'm more into Photography than Botany).
The leaf bodies are about 3.5-4.5 inches long and the branches bear some
little 1/2" diameter balls.
What tree produces these leaves?
Bob Williams

crabapple?

That was one of my choices, along with the Catalina Cherry.
The Crabapple leaf is a little more serrated than mine but the fruit
looks very close to that on my tree.
OTOH, the smoother Catalina Cherry leaf looks closer to my leaf but the
fruit is redder than the fruit on my tree. Color may vary with age, however.
Bob

the Catalina Cherry is evergreen it's leaf is leathery and glossy and
doesn't change color. Cut a fruit in half, the cherry has one seed,
crabapple looks like a little apple.
--

09=ix