Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Decorative grass privacy fence.

Dan Listermann wrote:
What considerations are there to using decorative grass as a privacy
fence? We are looking at a bit of property that gets flooded
annually. A normal privacy fence would probably be damaged during
the flood. I figure that a line of this very tall dense grass, while
damaged, could just grow back every year.

This is a good idea in principle. I have seen too many fences wrecked by
floods or converted into artistically draped crap by flood wrack.

Sadly I cannot make any practical suggestion about species. The reasons are
that I don't know where you are and even if your climate was the same as
mine I couldn't come up with anything that hasn't been mentioned already as
the tall grasses I know of tend to dry out and become fire hazards.

Why not use shrubs or small trees? There must be some that will survive
periodic inundation.

David