Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Listermann Dan Listermann is offline

Default Decorative grass privacy fence.

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Dan Listermann wrote:
What considerations are there to using decorative grass as a privacy
fence? We are looking at a bit of property that gets flooded
annually. A normal privacy fence would probably be damaged during
the flood. I figure that a line of this very tall dense grass, while
damaged, could just grow back every year.

This is a good idea in principle. I have seen too many fences wrecked by
floods or converted into artistically draped crap by flood wrack.

Sadly I cannot make any practical suggestion about species. The reasons
are that I don't know where you are and even if your climate was the same
as mine I couldn't come up with anything that hasn't been mentioned
already as the tall grasses I know of tend to dry out and become fire
hazards.

Why not use shrubs or small trees? There must be some that will survive
periodic inundation.

The property is near Cincinnati. Shrubs could be done, but I am trying to
keep the "footprint" down.