Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Robert Lewis Robert Lewis is offline

Default Question regarding transplanting tomatoes

"Penelope" wrote in message
Food cans are usually tin or aluminum. There are far better and less
toxic ways to get trace minerals into your soil.

Seems like most food cans I've seen will hold a magnet, therefore are steel.
I don't know about the tin.... maybe the steel has a very thin layer of tin
to prevent rust. I do know that tin is a pretty expensive metal & would be
surprised if it were on food cans.

Bones take years to compost and release their minerals into the soil.
I suspect the meat in the soil won't rot fast enough to release the
nutrients the plants need either, but I can't swear to it. I would be
concerned about encouraging harmful bacteria like botulism to grow by
creating an anaerobic environment with the buried meat.

Perhaps. I've buried lots of rotting chicken parts in my garden & have had
zero problems. Maybe I just have a cast iron stomach. :-)

Robert in the hills of Tennessee