Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drought

Billy wrote:
FarmI, and any other farmers who live in drought stricken areas,
I would appreciate hearing on how you are coping and what plants are
performing best for you.

It looks like we are in for another year of water rationing here
in northern California, due to lack of precipitation and the need to
provide our endangered salmon with sufficient water for spawning. The
water also gets sent south so that people can grow lawns and hose down
sidewalks in the great desert that is southern California.

Yes, I've "googled" drought resistant vegetables and found some good
sites like
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

Looking forward to any advice you can offer.

Billy

I don't know about vegetables, I have not seen any that are worth a damn if
you don't keep the water up to them. Most have characteristics that are
contrary to drought hardiness (soft leaves and shoots, etc). You know about
mulching etc already.

As for trees and shrubs there are better choices as they have larger root
systems and tougher bark and leaves and can shut down to conserve water when
it gets dry. Here are some that come to mind that work in my district:

Eucalyptus; hundreds of species, all shapes and sizes, suit diverse habitats
many dry, some survive heavy frost or snow, you need to pick the right
species for your conditions. Although not eucalyptus strictly you could
include other gum trees here, eg angophoras

Acacia; as above. Also many other Australian natives of different genera

Crepe myrtle; amazingly tough, also pretty, thrive on neglect although
better if pruned, survive drought and frost

Feijoa (pineapple guava); very tough, quite good looking and tasty, can be
hedged, needs a bit of water for a good crop of fruit but will survive
without it, frost hardy

Liquidambar

Quite a few palms

umbrella tree (sheflera) (sp?)

star jasmine (trachelospermum) (sp?) great perfumed climber

David