Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soot

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:59:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:29:17 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
dia.com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails
away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents
you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can
clean
your teeth with it.

You can clean your teeth with just salt, but who wants to nowadays?

Well, not many of us now as we have toothpaste. I just thought some might
find it interesting.

I found it interesting.

Just part of a long history of ways to get rid of soot without throwing it
away.
:-)

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was a child. They brought
up 4 children during the war when things were scarce and what my grandmother
taught me about making meals out of nothing much and making do and mend is
useful to me in these days of the credit crunch.