Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default soot

"Gordon H" wrote in message

The last time it was swept was by a wood pigeon which dropped down the
chimney and dislodged quiet a lot of soot. I managed to reach up and
grab its legs, threw an old towel round it and dropped it outside on the
lawn.

Been there, done that, accompanied by a *very* interested cat.

I moved towards it to check it over, and it took off almost vertically.

Don't they just! And the amount of feathers they shed in the process is
amazing.

My Dad used to dig soot into our garden in London back in the 50s/60s.
Don't know why or if it did anything, but he got good crops and lots of
flowers each year.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.