Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Question from a newby

In article , says...

"Kathy" wrote
I've been lurking for a bit, but now I've got a question to ask please.

My friend and I took on an allotment in November. We have started
clearing it, but have been invaded by moles! Any ideas on non-harmful
ways of discouraging them? We've asked them nicely to go and burrow
through the bits we haven't dug yet but they wont play.
TIA

A friend of mine used to import a produce called "Mole Away" from the USA
which people said worked well, unfortunately DEFRA found out and told him it
needed testing at enormous cost in order to be sold here. Uneconomic to
continue so he stopped importing it.
Thing is, it was basically Caster Oil, which you poured into the run and the
smell drove the animals away.

Not having moles here, but is it possible to put barriers around? or do
they have to go too deep?
I had thought that there was too much fuss made about moles on this
newsgroup until I visited my cousin up near Cambridge, they can not
safely walk across their garden its so undermined!
I understand its a bit of a compliment to have moles as it means lots of
worms and good healthy soil :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk