Old 13-01-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] madgardener1@yahoo.com is offline

Default How early do you plant peas?

On Jan 11, 2:11*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
Here in the Wilamette Valley, western Oregon, the OSU Extension office
recommends planting peas in January. Has anyone planted peas in January? How
well did they do?

Howdy, madgardener here,
I have a friend who lives in Eugene, and even though my own growing
zone is 7a, here in Eastern Tennessee, I do know that you could plant
peas in January if you do them in a raised bed or elevated bed. The
extra height of soil allows it to warm up quicker, and gives other
seeds and plants the added advantage of getting an additional few
weeks of growing season. I know you're season is probably up there in
terms of 8 but with your unseasonable snows and cold, I know I've had
lots of luck in the past with raised beds. I hope this helps. If you
don't want to go to all the trouble of making a raised bed this late,
you can rake an area up to at least five or six inches like a berm and
it will do the same thing. Let us know how it goes. I also know that
SNOW PEAS will do well early. (I plant mine when I can in February)
madgardener now gardening in further northeastern Tennessee in
historical downtown Greeneville, Tennessee zone 7a where we're about
to get an Arctic blast...............