Old 13-01-2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default hardy cactus in zone 7

I'm in east TN and have a rather large cactus collection (about 100
specimens). I have a place that gets full (brutal) sun and would like
to plant a cactus that survives East Tennessee winters. I have an
American cactus (from the USA west coast) which I propagated and tried
to toughen it up, but I think it may have died due to frost. I see
large cactus growing in various places (Knoxville, Oliver Springs, Oak
Ridge, etc) that have been growing for years and they produce summer
bloom. Can anyone tell me what cactus will grow outdoors in my
location?