Old 13-01-2009, 09:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Odour-filtering Plant suggestions anyone?

PD wrote:
OK, maybe a slightly odd question, but here goes:
Our new neighbours sit at the front of their house smoking at all
hours of the day and night. Due to the lay of the land, the smell
fills our front yard, and if we have our front door open, it fills
the house as well.

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence
which is in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's
anything I can plant that would help to filter the air between our
place and theirs. Or be sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself
year-round that it might overpower the smoke pong. Any ideas anyone?
The strip of garden is only about 2ft wide, and I don't want
anything that's going to end up scratching the car every time we
drive in and out (had that problem for many years, and a badly
damaged car as a result!).

Thanks in advance,
Penny
(in Beecroft, Sydney)