Old 14-01-2009, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default Forked carrots

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:19:48 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Lawn grass or wild grasses?

Just plain ole' lawn grass.

Persephone

Take a look at
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...Vegetable.html
Excerpt:
Gardeners are often dismayed when they harvest hairy or misshapen
carrots. Imperfect carrots, or carrots with multiple roots - many of
them twisted around each other - may come from several causes, including
spacing, soil type, fertility, pests and disease.

My other thought was the use of chemicals on the lawn. It could lead to
a salt build up, if nothing else. Since "chemfets" would tend to sterize
the soil, I presume that as an attentive gardener you prepared the
garden beds first.
http://www.childsplayorganiclawns.co...ues/chart.html

No chemicals on lawn. Not much of anything, actually. Not your
beautifully groomed lawn -- more of a hodge-podge g

From my pitiful experience from growing carrots. When I first started
carrots from seed kits indoors, the carrots always looked deformed after
transplanting into ground. When I started putting the seeds directly
into the ground, the carrots grew straight and nice. The roots get
twisted when started from a seed kit.

Did you start you carrots from an indoor seed kit?

No, I always plant seeds directly in the ground. My climate (So.
Calif coastal) is mild enough to permit this.

Ironically, the only time I ever started tomatoes from seed indoors --
why I can't remember -- was also the only time we ever had a frost.
So the little plants I had put out to "harden off" bit the dust!

Persephone