Old 15-01-2009, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Lawn fertilizer prices skyrocket

In article
,
Jay Chan wrote:

On Jan 10, 12:00*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Jay Chan wrote:

Half a year ago when commodity Price was very high, I read an article
about the price of fertilizer that are from mineral would go up
because there were only a few places that exported one of the

* * * * * * * * * "fertilizer component"

(the word "Russian company" somehow comes to my
mind). *This creates a semi-monoply situation. *And they were talking
about double or triple the price of that fertilizer component.

Haber process
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Haber process, also called the Haber*Bosch process, is the nitrogen
fixation reaction of nitrogen and hydrogen, over an iron catalyst, to
produce ammonia.[1][2][3] The Haber process is important because ammonia
is difficult to produce on an industrial scale, and the fertilizer
generated from the ammonia is responsible for sustaining one-third of
the Earth's population.[4] Even though 78.1% of the air we breathe is
nitrogen, the gas is relatively unreactive because nitrogen molecules
are held together by strong triple bonds. It was not until the early
20th century that this method was developed to harness the atmospheric
abundance of nitrogen to create ammonia, which can then be oxidized to
make the nitrates and nitrites essential for the production of nitrate
fertilizer and munitions.

. . . Prior to the use of NATURAL gas as a hydrogen source, electricity
was used to electrolyse water. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

For our purposes, it is better known as "chemfert" (chemical
fertilizer). It is best known for killing top soil. The less top sol you
have, the more "chemfert" you have to add.

Growing organic creates more top soil :O)

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind
Barshttp://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1031285.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/w
atch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.net

The use of natural gas seems to be expanding throughout the world for
controlling air quality (Europe, China, and India). I think the
natural gas
price will go up. And it will add to the cost of fertilizer. In US,
we mainly
use locally produced natural gas. But I am under the impression that
the local source of natural gas is running low after many years of
production and need to import from global market.

Like oil, you can presume that local natural gas is already available to
the world market.
This means this
will
expose US natural gas market to the ups and downs of global market
price (that will only go up when the world economy recovers). With US
dollars expected to be declining in value in 2010, this will also
inflat the
cost of natural gas purchased from the global market. Based on these,
seem like the price of fertilizer will go up in long term. This is OK
as
long as our salary and wage will also go up -- I hope.

Real wages are still below the 1980's level.
-----
wages and salaries now make up the lowest share of the nationıs gross
domestic product since the government began recording the data in 1947,
while corporate profits have climbed to their highest share since the
1960ıs. UBS, the investment bank, recently described the current period
as ³the golden era of profitability.²
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/bu...l?pagewanted=1

Seem like the safest bet is to go organic. My compost piles are in
my backyard. Chicken manure are from local source. Largely shielded
from global market that are going up and down.

Jay Chan

Good idea. There seems to be no shortage of chicken sh** or bull sh**
in the world today.

We seem to be having a (hopefully) false spring here in northern
California. Pruning fruit trees today, removing last of transparent
plastic mulch, and cleaning up garden debris. The next step is to
re-mulch with alfalfa and sow green manure. I may forgo my attempt at
sweet corn this year. Rain fall is half of normal and the talk is of
mandatory water rationing.
--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4