Old 14-01-2009, 11:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
Norm Norm is offline

Default Odour-filtering Plant suggestions anyone?

On Jan 13, 5:23*pm, "PD" wrote:
OK, maybe a slightly odd question, but here goes:
Our new neighbours sit at the front of their house smoking at all hours of
the day and night. *Due to the lay of the land, the smell fills our front
yard, and if we have our front door open, it fills the house as well.

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence which is
in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's anything I can
plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs. *Or be
sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself year-round that it might
overpower the smoke pong. *Any ideas anyone? *The strip of garden *is only
about 2ft wide, and I don't want anything that's going to end up scratching
the car every time we drive in and out (had that problem for many years, and
a badly damaged car as a result!).

Thanks in advance,
Penny
(in Beecroft, Sydney)

Dear Penny

In addition to all the other helpful comments (like moving house), I
thought you might like to see this article on "third hand smoke" which
was on some "news" site today.

http://motherandbaby.com.au/ContentI...ContentID=1150

It seems as if some dangerous elements of smoke remain after the
cigarette is put out. It occurs to me that your neighbours themselves
are likely to be dangerous to your health if you get too close to
them.

I hope you come up with a solution. Cigarette smoke can be extremely
penetrating, and masking it with other smells often does not even make
a "cosmetic" difference. I did once think of moving house because of
neighbours who constantly practiced playing heavy metal music until
the early hours of the morning, and I imagine I would find smoke very
taxing.

Yours

Norm