Old 15-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by packat View Post
On Dec 30, 8:40*am, "v_coerulea" wrote:
So you're not talking about databases just coding for acess to a database
the will be created in the futures by someone or individuals. If that's
correct and you're just looking for advice on what topics interest people so
you can write it into your program, then this whole thing is a lot easier..
Mentionned already was lip color. You can add wavy, frilly, small, large;
flower recumbent or not; flower large, medium, small, single, small group,
cluster; tall spike, medium, or small; spike straight, lax or arched, or
downward; plant is small, medium, large, very large, miniature; monopodial
growth, sympodial growth; internode is 1", 1", 1". You get the idea I
think (credit, *please. Just joking)
Enjoy yourself.
Gary

Thank for the great tip. You read mind. Is this common among
vanda's? ;-)
I think the key is to know what key features people are looking for in
orkinds. You gave me lots of answers. What I have done so far were
the standard thing, petal, sepal and lips color, pattern, relative
size, shape, texture. I will add what you suggested.

thanks,
pax

Pax,

Like you, I grew up in Malaysia, love orchids and have done some database programming in the past.

I photograph orchids in the wild, and am constantly frustrated at not being able to ID the photos I take. Your proposed search engine would be of immense value to me.

You might like to have a look at some taxonomic orchid books in your local library. Most books starting with 'The Genus ...' or 'Orchids of ...' will have a key to the various species descibed in the book. You will also find all the information for your database therein.

The on-going taxonomic revisions should not be a hinderance to your search engine. In the type of books mentioned above, you will always see the name of the person who first described it after the specie name - eg. Laelia purpurata Lindley. Simply use all three names and there should be no confusion as to the plant, regardless of the number of subsequent reclassifications.

Do let me know if I can be of help.

Weng