Old 15-01-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default fear of the unknown? rather OT

In message , K
writes
Klara writes

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

That appeared as a cartoon in I think) Amateur Gardening in the 1950s

I thought somehow it couldn't be new ... but my, you've got quite a
memory!

--
Klara, SE Surrey