Old 16-01-2009, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default How early do you plant peas?

On Jan 11, 11:11*am, "Zootal" wrote:
Here in the Wilamette Valley, western Oregon, the OSU Extension office
recommends planting peas in January. Has anyone planted peas in January? How
well did they do?

I'm not all that far away from the Willamette Valley (just a bit
north) and the recommendation here is traditionally Washington's
Birthday or somewhere around the third week of February. You tend to
be colder in winter than my area (and also warmer in summer) so I'd
not be inclined to rush things too much. There is always a danger of
warm weather encouraging early germination and new shoots that could
be cut down by a late frost. Peas ARE a cool weather crop....but cool
weather, not the cold of winter :-)