Old 16-01-2009, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default How early do you plant peas?

Here in the Wilamette Valley, western Oregon, the OSU Extension office
recommends planting peas in January. Has anyone planted peas in January?
How
well did they do?

I'm not all that far away from the Willamette Valley (just a bit
north) and the recommendation here is traditionally Washington's
Birthday or somewhere around the third week of February. You tend to
be colder in winter than my area (and also warmer in summer) so I'd
not be inclined to rush things too much. There is always a danger of
warm weather encouraging early germination and new shoots that could
be cut down by a late frost. Peas ARE a cool weather crop....but cool
weather, not the cold of winter :-)

Where do you live? How much snow did you get a few weeks ago? I'm about 20
miles south of the snow zone. Portland got a foot and a half, I got an inch
followed by a lot of rain. 20 miles north of me the roads were closed
because of ice, and by the time we reached Salem they were recommending
chains. Historically, when the snow moves in we tend to be about 5 degrees
warmer then the Portland area. Which is usually enough to keep us from
getting much snow. We've been a lot drier this year also. FWIW, I'm 90 miles
south of Portland.