Old 16-01-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Question regarding transplanting tomatoes

On Jan 10, 11:36*am, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

*AndyS wrote:
Andy asks:

* * This coming spring, when I am transplanting Celebrity tomatoes
from
the little flats I get from Home Deopt into my garden, I plan to do
the
following:

* * Dig a larger and deeper hole than normal by about 6 inches.

* *In the bottom of the hold put a rusty, flattened tin can and some
chicken scraps, with bone, from the table.

* *Put *on potting soil or compost for an inch or two, then the tomato
plant as per normal......

* *The idea behind this is that the rusty tin can will add trace
elements
of iron, and the chicken scraps will rot and provide nitrogen and
calcium
as the roots grow deeper.

* * Has anyone tried anything like this, and can anyone comment on
whether this is a reasonable idea ?

* * Just experimenting,

* * * * * * * * * * Andy in Eureka, Texas

Native americans used fish for corn and beans.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

Hi Andy, My dad was a soil chemist(agronomist) at Purdue, PennSt,
Umass & Rutgers. He planted tomatoes this way: dig a hole about 1 ft
deep, drop a small handful of 10-10-10 in with about 1 - 3 inches of
soil on top of it, mix the soil and fert, pack it down put more loose
soil in and plant tomatoes up to their bottom leaves. Water well. When
the roots reach that fertilizer they take off growing. The submerged
stem up to the bottom leaves will also sprout roots. It makes for a
healthy plant with a good headstart. Good luck with the 'mater!!!!
Nan in DE