Old 16-01-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default First frog

On 16/1/09 14:13, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:26:24 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 16/1/09 12:03, in article
, "robert"
wrote:

The first frog of the year sighted. I noticed some movement in the pond
a couple of days ago but today a definite sighting. This is 3 days
earlier than 2008 which is a bit surprising given the recent very cold
spell, four weeks earlier than 2007 and six weeks earlier than 2006.

I'm really glad you've seen yours - no sign of our toads yet but it would be
very early for them. I read that in some colder parts of the country an
entire generation of froglets has been wiped out.

At long last we have some snow drops in flower. Below the surface the ground
is
still frozen.
On the IJsselmeer they are using icebreakers to make ice free channels through
the ice for the commercial barges.

Our snowdrops are just coming through and some are showing colour. I've
seen a few daffs pushing up, too. But it's still very cold here. I haven't
checked today but yesterday was 7C and I doubt today is any warmer.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com