Old 16-01-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Help ID this stepping stone?

On Jan 16, 8:10 am, jzfredricks wrote:
On Jan 16, 2:19 pm, gardengal wrote:

How anyone can determine from just looking at a photo......and not a
very large one, either.....exactly what type of stone that is is
really quite remarkable. There are literally 1000's of different kinds
of flagstones available. It is not "obviously" anything, but it could
be some type of sandstone.

As I said, I'm not after an exact match. That answers above have lead
me down another path (haha). I've been able to google more now, and
have learnt a lot.

Stone is shipped worldwide, there is nothing remarkable about the
availbility of natural stone far from its origin, in fact that's much
more the norm in recent times than local use. What makes your stone
obviously red slate is obviously its color but primarily its natural
lines of cleaving that are obvious from the very unique configuration
of each stone in your picture... were your stones cut with straight
lines then there would be no way to tell from a picture if even they
were artificial stone... but there is no other way to depict those
particular cleft configurations with any other stone on the planet
except slate.

M-W

slate
noun
Etymology: Middle English sclate, slate, from Anglo-French *esclat,
from esclater to splinter, break off, of Germanic origin; akin to Old
High German zesleizzen, slīzan to tear apart -- more at slit
Date: 14th century
1: a piece of construction material (as laminated rock) prepared as a
shingle for roofing and siding
2: a dense fine-grained metamorphic rock produced by the compression
of various sediments (as clay or shale) so as to develop a
characteristic cleavage.

There aren't many more expert on cleavage than moi. hehe

I think if you contact the company below they will help you find what
you're looking for, and if you send them your picture they will
confirm what I'm telling you.

http://www.vermontstructuralslate.co...e/unfading-red