Old 17-01-2009, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default ZTR mowers

KC wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:01 pm, Art wrote:

Both are pieces of crap.

Why? Bear in mind the mower will be used on a single yard only and
not commercially.

MTD builds crap. I don't know why, you'd have to ask them. Parts are
thin stamped steel, bearings are poor quality, shafts are of minimal
diameter, blades are thin and not heat treated, tires from China. Every
part they use is absolutely the cheapest thing they can source.

There is also something to be said for the availability of things like a
mulcher, bagger or other towables or push attachments. MTD hasn't got
much and what they do have is usually ill-fitting and flimsy. Often
replacement parts for attachments are not available at all.

I suggest you take a look at a couple of homeowner models of Hustler,
Dixie Chopper, Snapper or whatever is available down at your local power
equipment store. There you can see the difference. Compare the weights
of the machine and the quality of the parts. Kick the tires even.

I realize you don't need a commercial machine but I'd think you'd want
the best bang for your buck and that is rarely found with the cheapest
product available. You may wind up with an MTD in the end but at least
you should know what else is out there.

--
Art