Old 16-01-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Norris[_2_] Roy Norris[_2_] is offline

Default fear of the unknown? rather OT

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:49:51 +0000, Klara
wrote:

'Man is always, I think, made fearful by what he does not understand....

'A lady wishing to keep people from crossing her lawn put up a notice
BEWARE OF THE DOG.
It had no effect.

She then put one up BEWARE FIERCE DOG
- still no effect -

But when she put up BEWARE AGAPANTHUS, no one dared come near.'

Jim Ede - Founder of Kettle's Yard, Cambridge. (from ‘Open House’
Exhibition Catalogue)

When I heard the story it was "beware creeping fescue" which I felt
sounded slightly more sinister.

What would be readers dire warning to trespassers?

Roy.
--
Roy.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,