Old 16-01-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Question from a newby

"Mel" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote
My friend and I took on an allotment in November. We have started
clearing it, but have been invaded by moles! Any ideas on non-harmful
ways of discouraging them?

Hi, Kathy. I've been chasing moles on my allotment for 3 years. For the
first year I tried to live with them, cute little things that they are,
but the devastation they caused last summer was spectacular.

I've tried mothballs, with limited success. Half the time they push the
mothballs out of the way and carry on happily digging.

I've used one of those sonar deterrents, which seemed to sort of work but
only in the immediate area within a couple of feet.

I've tried flooding the runs, but I think they merely appreciated a nice
bath! I've stomped around in size 6 wellies, and even tried bopping one
on the head when it popped up within inches of my feet !!

I've put down traps, but as soon as I get rid of one another moves in
immediately.

I've now bought some liquid deterrent from B&Q. I believe it's safe for
use on veggie plots. I think it's just smelly stuff that they don't like.
I'll probably start using it in March because I think they breed in April.
To be honest, I don't expect it'll work, but I might as well give it a
try.

I've also read that a liquid made from ferret droppings might deter them,
again it's the smell that puts them off. There's also those bulbs (Sork)
that you plant and the smell supposedly deters them. I've read that
trapping is the only reliable method to elimiate them, but in my
experience it's an ongoing and constant battle.

Hi Mel, I look out for the liquid. Trapping them would be pointless, as
they are all over the field, and also possibly in the surrounding fields as
well. We'd need a lot of traps :-}

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.