Old 17-01-2009, 12:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How Cold at Your Pond?

What's everyone's latest report? There is some serious cold air across the
nation. Alaska's revenge for not accepting their governor (or ridding them
of her) not sure which? ;-)

We had it before Christmas, but we had snow on the ground which insulated
my pond so I had to be careful running the heater or it brought it up and
over 40F, at which time it started melting my snow layer.

Then we warmed up and I mean seriously warm after the holidays. I think one
of the days was 60F, most high 50's with wind! Unfortunately we're now in
an inversion where the temp doesn't change much from day & night. 32F
during the day, 28F at night, the days are grey and dreary. No snow for
insulation. Pond was down to 35F as I haven't had it on since those really
warm days. Turned it on about 8 hours ago and it is up to 36F. Will leave
it on till morning.

Also have heated bird bath, for birds and squirrels since ponds are covered
in winter. Though I finally went out and checked the lily pond. In 2 small
places the screen is touching the water, but I'm sure they're all iced up
now. That pond only has a bubbler and 100 watt heater.

So give your latest cold report and how your ponds are fairing?
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us