Old 17-01-2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D. Arlington D. Arlington is offline

Default Question regarding transplanting tomatoes

"AndyS" wrote in message
Andy asks:

This coming spring, when I am transplanting Celebrity tomatoes
from
the little flats I get from Home Deopt into my garden, I plan to do
the
following:

Dig a larger and deeper hole than normal by about 6 inches.

In the bottom of the hold put a rusty, flattened tin can and some
chicken scraps, with bone, from the table.

Chicken scraps with some bones? You better not have dogs or possums or other
such animals where you live. If you do you're likely to find your little
tomatoes ripped up as they dig up the bones and scraps.

Put on potting soil or compost for an inch or two, then the tomato
plant as per normal......

Well rotted compost. Excellent idea.

The idea behind this is that the rusty tin can will add trace
elements
of iron, and the chicken scraps will rot and provide nitrogen and
calcium
as the roots grow deeper.

Has anyone tried anything like this, and can anyone comment on
whether this is a reasonable idea ?

You need to skip the meat and bones unless animals can't get to your garden.
Also the rotting of fresh bones and meaty waste can harm the roots of many
plants. Better to bury such stuff in the fall and let it rot away all
winter.

Just experimenting,

Andy in Eureka, Texas