Old 17-01-2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How Cold at Your Pond?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:11:58 EST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

Well, it got down to 25.5 last night here in north Florida, and my
attempt at sprinkling water over the plants to keep them from freezing
didn't exactly work when temperatures got that low.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n172009004.jpg

How it used to look in warmer times:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n012008012.jpg

Oh well. It's supposed to get to 60 today, 70 tomorrow.

Sure made for pretty ice sculptures. I think you're suppose to leave the
water on. Even if it forms ice, the plants will make it. Leaving the water
on until the ice melts keeps the temp above 32F.... water gives off heat
when turning to ice so the story goes. ;-)

Holding just below freezing here. Ponds at 39F and I turned the heater off
hours ago.

Ingrid I'm feeling for you! -10! Yikes! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us