Old 18-01-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Newbuild garden in Bacup, Lancs.

In message , uklude
writes

Hello, all I have just come across this forum and unfortunatly am
joining you with limited knowledge on gardening. I bought a new house
last year and the back garden is just a turfed box, not even a daisy to
brighten things up. It needs planning, building etc and I don't know
where to start.

All I want from the garden is to sit out in the summer and enjoy the
evening with a beer and look at pretty flowers. By trade I am an
Electrician so not to bothered about hard work, I've put an outside
light up so far which is very bright and ample for an evenings
entertainment.

I don't want a pond, but I do want tree's, bushes, flowers and a bbq.

Please help if it was left to me I'm sure I would ruin it!

Hi,

Welcome to the group.

I know you will get lots of advice but probably - before that - you will
get a number of questions about your garden. What direction it faces,
what kind of soil is there already (very easy to find out), perhaps what
your neighbours may be growing, how shaded or sunny it is ... etc. etc.

But you have certainly come to the right place to ask the questions.
Whether, as you say, you just want to have a pleasant patch to enjoy
your beer (excellent idea!) or gradually get a bit more interested and
start growing some of your own veg, or roses .... you can take it as far
as you want .... you have come to the right place. There are many very
knowledgeable and helpful people in this group. A bit mad sometimes but
always amusing and (generally) good mannered.

Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!