Old 18-01-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mantis

In article ,
Mel wrote:
"Emrys Davies" wrote ...
Do any of you have a mantis rotavator and are they any good?

Is this the one to which you are referring?
http://www.asktooltalk.com/articles/...ory/mantis.php If so, it
has a very good write-up.

Hi, Emrys. Yes, that's the one. I have a new overgrown allotment and a bad
back -- the two don't mix very well. I started digging this weekend, but I
just know that my back will go out and I'll be off my feet for a couple of
months. I wondered if it'd be worthwhile to buy one of these to use
throughout the year, or just rent a similar one for a weekend. I'll have to
think about it.

I recommend NOT using that type. They are likely to put more strain
on your back than using hand tools - you need something like a
miniature tractor, and those are definitely not worth buying for a
mere allotment. The problem is holding them straight when working
in soil that has roots in.

If you still want to go ahead, hire one anyway, and give up if you
need to use your back too much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.