Old 18-01-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Are cordless hedge trimmers any good?

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Rich" wrote ...

Are cordless electric hedgetrimmers recommended?

I'd like a cordless trimmer and wonder about an electric one as
opposed to
a petrol one.

Depends on the size of your hedge.

And how good the trimmer is.

Indeed.

I have a Bosch one, and am more than happy with it, but it is basically
used for light/medium trimming - I bought it to keep the 4 large topiary
Yews we have trimmed. So I'd see that as equivalent to keeping a small,
to medium-ish hedge trimmed.

i like the convenience of just picking it up and going (as long as the
batteries are charged), no need to get out extension leads etc., though
I guess it is a bit heavier with the batteries, I don't really notice it
and it's much easier to use as the lead doesn't get in the way.

A reason for buying the Bosch in particular for me was that it took the
same battery pack as my cordless drill (which has 2, it also has a much
better charger) so I have plenty of battery capacity. Having one battery
pack would be more limiting.

But if I had a decent amount of hedge I'd probably go for a petrol one
--
Chris French