Old 19-01-2009, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default soot

In article ,
says...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:32:21 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
On 9/1/09 16:24, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article a27054f0-f0cd-4e2c-9593-
,
says...
How long should you leave soot before spreading on the garden.

Good question! all the books say "untill weathered" well I feel well
weathered after about 30 mins!! I would say a winter would do the job
but
maybe someone actually knows.

It's hardly scientific but my grandfather used to chuck it onto the
garden
straight from the chimney - coal fire, IIRC.
--

There's a body of opinion that holds that soot doesn't do anything for the
garden, and that chimney sweeps started, and perpetuate the myth to save

"Shall I chuck the soot on yer garden missis, do it the world of good it
will"

It's banned for organic vegetables.

Why?

It contains a cocktail of nasty chemicals, bit like creosote which used
also to be extracted by heating wood.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk